Pages

Saturday, September 28, 2013

A First For Me

I enjoy watching the free painting videos on You Tube and other art sites; but have never paid to take one of the online classes offered through the art sites.
I had watched several video clips and a free 1 hr. session offered by a painter named, Johannes Vloothuis.  I really enjoyed his manner of teaching and his subjects.  Then the other day I saw that he was going to be giving an online art class for the next 4 Saturdays for 4 hrs. each class.  So a total of 16 hrs. of instruction and the cost was very reasonable.  I had been telling Roy how much I liked this mans way of teaching, etc. so when I mentioned that he was having this class, Roy said well, sign up for it.  I thought about it, watched some more of his free videos and finally broke down and signed up.

Today was the first class, well instead of going for 4 hrs. he went on for almost 5 hrs..  At the end he was asking the students if they could see mistakes and if he felt they were right he then corrected the painting.  Very interesting class.  He was doing this class in watercolours, which I don't do, so I actually worked along with pastels instead.  I have never tried painting along with a video before either.

Considering how slowly I always work, it takes me forever to actually finish a painting, I actually accomplished more on this than I thought I would.  It is not finished and needs some mistakes corrected and lots of finishing touches; but I am happy with what I accomplished in, for me, such a short time.

His subject was The Mission at Carmel, California and I enjoyed trying my hand at this.

Next week he will work in oils, no idea what his subject will be until a day or so before the class.

So here is what I ended up with.  It is pastels on Canson paper, approx. 8.5 x 11.5 inches.




2 comments:

Barb said...

I love the colours in this. I can't wait to see it finished.

Brenda Maas said...

Thanks Barb. I want to make the bougainvillea trail a bit more along that roof line and make it so that it is not so flattened on top. The cupola on the mission roof needs some work along with some other stuff.